How sentiment analysis works toward a brand or product, why you use it, and what platform allows you to find it.
- Sentiment analysis definition
- How does sentiment analysis work?
- What are sentiment analysis applications?
- How to implement a sentiment analysis?
- Social media sentiment analysis
- What can you analyze on social networks?
- Sentiment analysis tools
- Sentiment analysis and artificial intelligence
- How is a brand monitored?
- What are the advantages of sentiment analysis?
Need help monitoring your brand online?
Access the RepUP Monitoring Tool platform now
Sentiment analysis definition
Sentiment analysis is understanding how people feel about a given topic.
Businesses can use it for various purposes, such as reputation monitoring, understanding public opinion, or market research.
The study of a sector and the needs of its customers is a complex and dynamic process.Statista reports companies have invested 20% in customer relationship management, 14.2% in user experience, and 13.1% in audience in 2020.
Artificial intelligence can help identify feelings in a text, a helpful tool for companies to conduct market research and analyze customer feedback.
Online Sentiment Analysis
Online sentiment analysis is a process of identifying, quantifying, and tracking the feelings expressed on a particular topic on the Internet.
Typically, it involves analyzing large volumes of text in natural language processing from various sources.
Understanding how people feel about your brand’s or company’s online reputation is essential.
The sentiment is the foundation on which the ReputationUP team works in reputation improving and monitoring.
It is objective data that shows how a brand evolves.
The company, an international leader in online reputation management for individuals and businesses, has patented online sentiment monitoring software.
Do you want to grow your brand’s online reputation?
97% of entrepreneurs say online reputation management is the main key to success for their business
How does sentiment analysis work?
It combines Big Data and Artificial Intelligence to measure the sentiment score.
The software analyzes the feeling of texts, images, and videos.
It applies to various fields, such as marketing, social media management, politics, etc.
In the case of marketing, it helps understand what the audience wants to hear about products and services.
Sentiment analysis is of great help to companies by providing a faster, cheaper, and more accurate method of understanding what people think about the company’s products or services.
It helps determine whether a text is positive, negative, or neutral.
Consists of identifying words and phrases associated with these three categories.
It is also used to monitor social media for customer feedback, identify the tone of an item, or analyze customer opinions about a product or service.
When is sentiment analysis used?
Sentiment analysis is a tool that measures the attitude of a speaker or writer in a given text.
This technique can apply to many types of texts, including social media posts, customer reviews, and comments which sometimes turn into online defamation.
Do you want to remove negative reviews from the web?
ReputationUP guarantees the elimination of any false or defamatory negative reviews from any platform
Companies implement sentiment analysis for avariety of purposes.
One of the most popular uses is customer reviews and comments.
Or, on the other hand, to get an idea of what customers say about the products or services.
It also helps monitor what customers say about competitors and ensures you are at the forefront of the industry.
Another widespread use for sentiment analysis is in social media posts.
Sentiment analysis is vital to anticipate or face reputational risk.
These are situations that companies constantly experience and rarely anticipate.
If you experience a reputational crisis or want to get ahead of it, contact ReputationUP.
The company has an entire team managing reputational crises and 24/7 network monitoring.
What are sentiment analysis applications?
Sentiment analysis is a technique that can apply in various fields.
For example, it analyzes the feeling of a text or identifies it in an individual post or social network.
It is an essential tool for customer service and marketing and neuromarketing teams to realize how people feel about a brand, product, service, or campaign.
It helps to understand better what customers think about products and services and how they feel about interactions with a company.
This information helps decide which messages will resonate most with your audience.
What is the purpose of sentiment analysis?
The sentiment analysis aims to determine the attitude behind human communication, especially online interactions.
Companies can use it to determine if an item has a positive, negative, or neutral tone.
How to implement a sentiment analysis?
Feelings are divided into positive, negative, and neutral.
The software also indicates the net sentiment, the net percentage measured on a scale ranging from -100% to 100%.
Brands can also compare the sentiment with the previous period analyzed.
If you calculate the sentiment of a week, you will see what percentage has increased or decreased compared to the previous week.
Likewise, a corporate or personal brand can check what emotion it generates for your customers between:
The software also divides the three feelings into the most important keywords associated with the main keyword.
The sentiment analysis procedure in details
Sentiment analysis depends on each platform.
But generally, these are the steps:
- Enter the topic:
Write the personal or corporate brand you want to analyze. Some platforms provide filters by country.
- Select the topic:
Once the topic has been created on the platform, click on it and choose the sentiment option.
- Pick the date:
Some platforms allow you to go back up to two years to analyze the brand in that period.
- View an overall analysis:
The software shows an overview with results, net sentiment, sentiment over time, sentiment share and emotions.
But, it also allows you to study the above factors segmented by media types, tags, region, gender, or devices.
- 1. For example, click on media type:
The graphs display blogs, websites, and social networks, divided by positive, negative, and neutral sentiments.
- If you click on countries:
The platform displays the content divided by the different sentiments into countries and regions.
- Report creation:
Social media monitoring tools create a report with all the data collected.
Social media sentiment analysis
The platforms used to analyze the sentiment also focus on social media and classify comments as positive, negative, and neutral.
The following section explains how to measure sentiment in social media.
Platforms generally take the following steps to measure social media sentiment:
- Enter the social account of the brand that you want to analyze;
- Click on the social media from which you want to extract the information about the sentiment;
- Choose the time frame you want to study;
- Since you have many analysis parameters, select sentiment.
The software will show the posts and authors who write about your brand on social networks, divided by the type of sentiment.
Likewise, you can use filters to see the most significant ones and perform more specific analyses.
If it is a complex process for your company, you can contact a company specializing in online reputation management.
ReputationUP will develop a personalized plan along with you to analyze your company’s social networks and help you extract the most critical data to improve your image.
Twitter sentiment analysis
The sentiment analysis on Twitter studies users’ opinions regarding a brand.
Therefore, it divides the tweets into positive, negative, and neutral.
The software will also mark the type of feeling of all the topics, hashtags, and even emojis associated with your personal or corporate brand.
What can you analyze on social networks?
The analysis is different depending on the social network.
You can use the following parameters for the leading social media.
Twitter monitoring encompasses the following interactions:
- Tweets: all posts in the company feed.
In addition, it displays your top tweet in a given period;
- Impressions: number of views a publication has obtained;
- Visits: number of visits a profile receives in a given period;
- Mentions: number of times users mention your account in a post;
- Followers: number of users following your company’s account.
The software allows you to discover the new ones added in a period.
Also, know which is your number one follower with the most followers on your account.
- Clicks: number of clicks on a shared link in a post;
- Retweets: number of times a tweet has been shared;
- Favorites: the amount of ‘likes’ you have gotten a post.
The Rival IQ report summarizes the most engaging Twitter hashtags by sector:
- #valentinesday (Fashion);
- #blackfriday (Financial Services);
- #bts (Media);
- #internationalwomensday (Health and Beauty);
- #laboralday (Non-profit);
- #halloween (Retail);
- #giveaway (Technology and software);
- #valentinesday (Home decoration);
- #luxury (Hotels and Resorts);
- #tbt (Influencers).
The company, recently acquired by Elon Musk, is one of the favorites for sharing current news, experiences, and opinions about brands.
Monitoring on Facebook focuses on the following actions:
- Scope: number of users who have seen the posts, segmented by organic and paid;
- Number of users: number of people who have made interaction with your page;
- Click-through rates: number of clicks the links have received, opened images or played videos;
- Engagement: user interaction with company actions.
It can be a simple ‘like,’ ‘love,’ or ‘sad.’
Or, for example, a comment or share such a post;
- Rejection rate: it is the negative analysis that a company registers on this social network.
You can see if a user hides the company feed or marks a post as spam.
Business Manager is the Meta help center for companies.
You can analyze the following parameters for Instagram:
- Impressions: number of times a post has been viewed;
- Reach: number of users who have seen a post;
- Engagement: number of users interactions for a publication;
- Saved: times a company post has been saved;
- Back: number of users who saw a story again;
- Forward: number of people who clicked to see the following story;
- Exits: number of users who left your company’s stories;
- Answers: number of answers a story has gotten.
Creating a professional account allows the administrator to quickly learn about insights and new followers.
Is a professional network par excellence, and it is also significant to analyze it with the following metrics:
- Profile views: people who have seen your profile;
- Impressions of a post: interactions with your posts;
- Search Appearances: number of searches you appeared in;
- Followers: number of users who follow your account;
- Reactions: quick user interaction such as ‘Support,’ ‘Love,’ or ‘Insightful.’
LinkedIn is a different tool focused on professionals where you can network with people related to your sector.
In 2022, TikTok has become the social network where marketers have invested the most, with 62%, according to HubSpot.
It was followed by Instagram (54%), YouTube (49%), LinkedIn, and Facebook (43%).
Sentiment analysis tools
You can find various tools to analyze the sentiment in the market.
Below, you’ll see a list of software that may be compatible with what you’re looking for to monitor your brand.
Mediatoolkit measures a company’s sentiment and visibility.
It lets you track the company’s engagement, impressions, and reach.
This tool identifies the primary media and users by the number of mentions, reach, and sentiment.
Repustate identifies which parts of the customer experience are working and which can be improved through sentiment analysis.
The software is available to customers, employees, and medical patients.
The Critical Mention platform allows companies to obtain voice participation, sentiment, and advertising value metrics.
You can highlight Wordplay text and its editing tool to get a sentiment analysis on specific sections of the clip.
Social Searcher is a free tool companies use to discover negative feedback about their company.
The search engine monitors all mentions on social and web networks.
Monkey Learn is an intuitive tool that classifies topics, opinions, entities, and more.
It is used to classify a text according to priority or sentiment.
Awario segments the mentions of a company into positive, negative, and neutral.
The company can track growth in publications and their reach.
The Meaning Cloud tool performs opinion mining, including polarity, appearance, objectivity, and sentiment.
It processes a complete semantic analysis of media content.
Qualaroo analyzes company sentiment quickly to focus on customer response.
It allows the creation of calls to action based on an emotional score, combining them with a sophisticated technique.
Brand24 software tracks sentiment for the company to react when bad news comes up.
You may use filters like the source of mention, sentiment, number of visits, etc.
BrandMentions lets the user know what the audience says about a brand.
This tool helps the company know the users’ sentiments and preferences.
Keyhole offers a sentiment analysis powered by Artificial Intelligence.
This way, companies know how the audience feels about their brand and competition.
Using Mentionlytics, a company can view web and social feedback, engagement, outreach, and sentiment.
It automatically classifies each new positive, negative, or neutral mention.
Crowd Analyzer understands the customer’s perception and controls the customer’s behavior, analyzing changes in sentiment.
This software detects information about the target audience, from location to sentiment.
Listen360 measures customer sentiment over time to ensure a consistent experience.
It allows you to monitor the sentiment across the organization in real-time.
RepUP Monitoring Tool
The RepUP Monitoring Tool is the best tool to carry out sentiment analysis.
This software, patented by ReputationUP, monitors the online reputation of a personal or corporate brand.
Its brand listening function allows users to analyze the sentiment of social conversations.
By using the RepUP Monitoring Tool, a company analyzes:
- Net Sentiment Score;
- Trend of net sentiment over time;
- Breakdown by negative, positive, and neutral sentiment;
- Sentiment of hashtags and tags;
- Division by media and social networks;
- Segmentation by country, gender, or language.
- Associated topics.
The tool monitors the web in real time, intercepts risk, and provides crisis management keys.
Sentiment analysis and artificial intelligence
Nowadays, sentiment analysis through artificial intelligence is perfected because this study was already carried out in the nineties.
In 1995, Professor Rosalind Picard published the document Affective Computing on Affective Computing or Artificial Emotional Intelligence:
“Emotions play a fundamental role in rational decision-making, perception, interaction, and human intelligence. These facts, combined with the skills that computers acquire in expressing and recognizing affection, open up new areas for research.”
Artificial intelligence processes data by giving different scores to a text.
The RepUP Monitoring Tool combines artificial intelligence with Big Data to deliver the best software in sentiment analysis.
A company can learn what is said about it on the web in real-time.
Do you want to spy on your competitors and their strategies?
Access the RepUP Monitoring Tool platform and find out how to beat the competition.
How is a brand monitored?
Brand monitoring software helps companies monitor competitors, listen to conversations, and discover what people say about them on the web and social media.
It also helps identify potential customers and keep track of their competitors.
Through the brand monitoring tool, you can not only measure the feeling but can also study the following metrics:
- Results: number of mentions, likes, comments, shares, photos, videos, articles, tags, or hashtags;
- Performance: about content published in newspapers, blogs, or social networks;
- Engagement and reach: engagement rate and reach of publications;
- Influencer analysis: top authors, most active and influential websites, and breakdown by sentiment;
- Trends: the main trends associated with your brand;
- Demographics: data divided by country, language, or age.
In addition, the software offers an alert system to send a message or email whenever a company is mentioned on the Internet.
It is very similar to Google Alerts.
Which monitoring tool is available to know what people say about a brand on social networks?
Through the RepUP Monitoring Tool platform, you can learn what is said about a brand on social networks and Google.
The software monitors the corporate reputation through multilingual data and critical information in real-time.
The tool has a straightforward and intuitive interface that allows the company to access all the information quickly.
It analyzes the following metrics on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok, in real time:
It can also use tags, country, language, or gender filters.
Which platform allows us to find the sentiment toward a brand or product on social media?
Many platforms can help find the sentiment toward a brand or product on social media.
The most comprehensive tool on the market is the RepUP Monitoring Tool.
It differentiates from others as it helps:
- Measure the value of a brand on the Internet;
- Improve a company’s score;
- Gain a positive digital reputation;
- Reach new customers;
- Intercept the risk of crisis;
- Protect your brand.
The RepUP Monitoring Tool implements a monitoring strategy that verifies what is published online in real-time, optimizing return on investment (ROI) and preventing the spread of a reputational crisis.
Need help monitoring your brand online?
Access the RepUP Monitoring Tool platform now
What are the advantages of sentiment analysis?
Sentiment analysis offers several advantages as it helps:
- Monitor the engagement, impressions, and reach of the company;
- Intercept negative reviews;
- Identify the media and users who talk about a brand;
- Recognize which phases of the customer experience work;
- Obtain metrics to modify or improve the strategy;
- Uncover negative, positive, and neutral feedback;
- Monitor mentions on networks and websites;
- Perform a complete semantic analysis of the content;
- Focus quickly on customer response;
- Track a customer or user;
- Analyze changes in sentiment.
It is a way to be at the customer’s side in real-time and determine if the established strategies suit a brand.
Why use sentiment analysis?
In marketing, sentiment analysis can be used to learn customers’ feelings about products and services.
This information is used to make decisions about developing new products or marketing campaigns.
Also, to measure the success of those campaigns by observing how the customer’s sentiment changes or remains over time.
Through this article, you have discovered how sentiment analysis works toward a brand or product, why to use it, and what platform allows you to find it.
You can draw the following conclusions by reading this guide from ReputationUP:
- Sentiment analysis is the procedure of understanding how people feel about a given topic;
- It applies to different areas of a company, such as marketing or new product development; also for political campaigns;
- It helps determine whether a text is positive, negative, or neutral;
- This analysis focuses on both web and social media;
- It helps study sentiments and interactions on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, or LinkedIn;
- Artificial intelligence plays an essential role in sentiment analysis.
Multiple platforms can help discover the online sentiment of a brand and its social networks.
ReputationUP has a patented RepUP Monitoring Tool software.
The tool analyzes network information through multilingual data using Artificial Intelligence and Big Data in real time.
It is also used to know a company’s reputation and whether to carry out a strategic plan.
The ReputationUP team implements its monitoring procedure to verify what is said on the Internet about your personal or corporate brand and optimize ROI.
In addition, it provides an alert system that sends a message or email every time your company is mentioned on the web.
Need help monitoring your brand online?
Access the RepUP Monitoring Tool platform now
Media sentiment analysis is crucial because it identifies the tone of the content. You can use software that classifies the users’ perceptions.
The most popular is supervised learning. It uses tags manually assigned to each text portion to teach the algorithm how to classify it.
Among many tools, for example, the RepUP Monitoring Tool instantly classifies the positive, negative, and neutral sentiment of a comment on the Internet.
The net percentage is measured on a scale ranging from -100% to 100%. It can be calculated by taking the ratio between the number of positive and negative comments.
It is a way to measure a brand’s public opinion, identify the people’s feelings about a product, or know what to do to improve online reputation.